Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Zipper




Let me start by saying I really do love to sew. I love seeing my children wear the clothing I've made for them. And I love making things for others. What I don't love is zippers. I realize zippers serve a purpose, and it really is nice to have them. But I certainly don't like to sew them into clothing.

My first encounter with a zipper was three Easters ago when I made sweet little dresses for the girls. It was my first attempt at a more complicated pattern which included a zipper and lining. I was determined to figure it all out on my own. After reading and re-reading the pattern, I managed to put the dress together with only a few minor problems. Then it was time for the dreaded zipper. I studied those instructions and thought it shouldn't be too complicated. Boy was I wrong!

I've always known I am a visual learner. I need someone to actually show me what to do, not tell me. Needless to say it wasn't going so well. So I called a friend who is an awesome seamstress, and she said come on over. Once she got me going on the first zipper, the second zipper wasn't so bad. I'm so thankful for that day when a friend was willing to take the time to help me.

I can now say I've sewn in several zippers, but I still don't like doing it. That brings me to today. My dear husband has a favorite jacket. The zipper bit the dust a LONG time ago. We have searched and searched for another jacket just like this one, but we can not seem to find one. He suggested we try replacing the zipper now that I keep adding to my sewing skills. I've been putting him off for a while. I actually took out the old zipper and pinned in the new one several weeks ago. Well folks, I finally got brave and went to battle with the new zipper. And guess what? I WON! It's finished, and my husband has a smile on his face. And he'll wear it proudly!

1 comment: